Spring 2019 Newsletter
Spring 2019 Walk-In Schedule
1) Vincent E. Isom (Director, IU 21st Century Scholars Program; Co-Director, IU Thomas I. Atkins Living Learning Center): By appointment only at firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Jenifer L. Berry (Lead Academic Advisor): Monday and Thursday at 3:00PM-5:
3) Andrew W. Schwartz (Academic Advisor, Probationary Students): Wednesday and Friday at 10:00AM-12:
4) Brittany K. Kurt (Retention and Graduation Specialist): By appointment only at email@example.com
5) Marissa J. Cheplick (Leadership Development Specialist): Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00AM-12:
6) Corey J. Iams (Intern): Tuesday and Friday at 9:00AM-12:
7) Victoria Witham (Department Secretary): Monday-Friday at 9:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-4:00PM
8) Roy Y. Chan (Special Projects Coordinator): By appointment only at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where: IU 21st Century Scholars Program, Carl H. Eigenmann Hall 619 South, 1900 East 10th Street, Bloomington, IN 47408
Eight IU 21st Century Scholars Take Part in the Washington, D.C. Career Trek during Spring Break Week
On Sunday, March 10,
Next year when this opportunity is marketed, I would strongly urge you to apply. This event is one that you should not miss out on!
Submit Your 2019-2020 FAFSA Application Today
The IU 21st Century ScholarsProgram highly encourages ALL scholars to submit their online FAFSA application ASAP for special consideration of scholarship opportunities. Please note that your online FAFSA application must be submitted by April 15, 2019. All scholars must file a FAFSA. This is REQUIRED. Late applications will NOT be accepted. Failure to not complete the FAFSA on time may result in the loss of your scholarship. Questions about the FAFSA application can be sent to our retention specialist Brittany K. Kurt at email@example.com.*Submit the online application at http://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
NOTE: You can also submit your 2019-2020 FAFSA using the NEW myStudentAid app
Congratulations to Jenifer L. Berry, the recipient of "2019 Staff Spirit Award" at Indiana University
On Friday, February 1, 2019, the IU LGBTQ+ Alumni Association has named and awarded Jenifer L. Berry, lead academic advisor of IU 21st Century Scholars Program and founder of IU Black & BOLD, the recipient of the prestigious "2019 Staff Spirit Award" at Indiana University. Congratulations, Jenifer!
"I am deeply honored to receive the 2019 Staff Spirit Award at Indiana University through the IU LGBTQ+ Alumni Association," said Jenifer L. Berry. "This award confirms that being myself, which can be seen as an irrational threat or problem to some, is actually inspiring for others. I began IU Black & BOLD on campus so that other Black/African Diaspora, LGBTQ+ identifying students, and staff/faculty members can embrace our intersectionalities and be comfortably visible at Indiana University."
The entire IU 21st Century Scholars Program and IU Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs (OVPDEMA) family congratulate Jenifer for her unwavering commitment to inclusive excellence at Indiana University Bloomington.
Two NEW Staff Members has joined the IU 21st Century Scholars Program
The IU 21st Century Scholars Program is thrilled to announce that two NEW staff members, Dr. Andrew W. Schwartz, and Corey J. Iams has joined our team at Indiana University.
IU 21st Century Scholars Program - NOW HIRING STUDENT SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Are you interested in giving back to the scholar's community? Are you searching for a plan after graduation? If so, the IU 21st Century ScholarsProgram is currently hiring for a Student Support Specialist to help Scholars during the 2019-2020 academic year at Indiana University Bloomington! We cordially invite graduating seniors (Class of 2019) to apply for this PAID position within our office. This full-time position is established through the Serve Indiana and AmeriCorps partnership. In this role, you will provide direct student support service to 21st Century Scholars enrolled at Indiana University Bloomington. You will get to join our amazing team that works towards aiding scholars in their academic and career success.
The approximate pay for this position is $1,200 monthly along with full health insurance. As an AmeriCorps member, you will have the choice of either an education award (to assist you in either loan payments or graduate school) or a cash stipend after the completion of your service. This position has a tentative start date of August 1, 2019.
NOTE: You must be a graduating senior this May 2019 to qualify. To apply, please contact our current ScholarCorps AmeriCorps Member, Brittany K. Kurt, at firstname.lastname@example.org for an interview.
IU 21st Century Scholars Leadership Corps Volunteered at the IU Hilltop Nature and Garden Center on Saturday, March 3, 2019
The IU 21st Century Scholars Leadership Corps, a student-led organization primarily composed of IU 21st Century Scholars, volunteered at the IU Hilltop Nature and Garden Center on Saturday, March 3, 2019. During our visit, Scholars bagged 10 dozen soil packages that will be used in kid's grow kits and also worked outside to level soil plots in the family garden. IU 21st Century Scholars Leadership Corps thank all of our volunteers for giving their time and talent to Hilltop, and for all they do to help inform the community about gardening practices and nature. To learn more about how to get involved with our organization, please contact the Treasurer Dakota Suomelaat email@example.com
Adam B. Smith, an IU 21st Century Scholar, was named the recipient of the prestigious 2018-2019 Fulbright Scholarship
The IU 21st Century Scholars Program is pleased to announce that Adam B. Smith, an IU21st Century Scholar who studied English Literature and French in the IU College of Arts & Sciences, was named the recipient of the prestigious 2018-2019 Fulbright Scholarship funded by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Congratulations, Adam! Adam is currently teaching English at a local secondary school while conducting scholarly research in Lyon, France this academic year.
"We are extremely proud of Adam's accomplishments and the honor he has brought to Indiana University Bloomington," said Roy Y. Chan, special projects coordinator of the IU 21st Century Scholars Program & Ph.D. candidate of the School of Education, Indiana University Bloomington. "His work and his service to the community - magnified by his desire to learn and lead - personify the very best of academic excellence. He is such a special person and an outstanding representative of the IU 21st Century Scholars Program."
IU 21st Century Scholars Program - "FREE Pizzas and Drinks during Midterm Week" on February 27th, 28th, March
The IU 21st Century Scholars Program will be providing FREE pizzas during the midterm week between
IU 21st Century Scholars Program: "Open House and Join IU Leadership Corps on Thursday, January 24th at 6:00PM-7:
The IU 21st Century Scholars Program will be hosting a special open house and welcome back reception for Scholars on Thursday, January 24,
Indiana 21st Century Scholars Program - "Join the Scholars-Alumni Scholars Online Mentoring Program"
On December 1, 2018, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE) has launched a NEW online mentoring service for current IU 21st Century Scholar to be paired with an Indiana 21st Century Scholar alumni. We invite all scholars to join and participate in the online mentoring program. The FREE platform gives Scholars with VIP access to several 21st Century Scholar alumni across the State of Indiana and beyond. To sign up, please visit Click Here. Questions about the platform can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
IU 21st Century Scholars Program - "RSVP for FAFSA Workshops and Career Workshops"
The IU 21st Century Scholars Program will be hosting several FAFSA Workshops and Career Workshops throughout the month of February 2019 and March 2019. Please RSVP and SAVE THE DATE for the following events. Open to ALL Scholars and class standing.
FAFSA Workshops - "How To Submit Your 2019-2020 FAFSA"
1) Tuesday, February 12th at 6:00pm-7:00pm, Wells Library, Room 503
2) Friday, February 15th at 4:00pm-5:00pm, Fine Arts Building, Room 215
3) Friday, February 22nd at 4:00pm-5:00pm, Global and International Studies, Room 0005
4) Tuesday, March 5th at 6:00pm-7:00pm, SPEA, Room A203
6) Tuesday, March 19th at 6:00pm-7:00pm, Wells Library, Room 503
7) Friday, March 22nd at 4:00pm-5:00pm, Global and International Studies, Room 0005
1) "How to Ace the Interview" - Tuesday, February 5th at 7:00pm-8:
2) "Ascend - PAID Job Opportunity after IU" - Monday, February 11th at 6:00pm-7:
3) "Finding the Right Job/Internship" - Tuesday, February 19th at 7:00pm-8:
IU Career Development Center - "Spring 2019 Career Peers Walk-Ins Schedule" (NO Appointment)
The IU Career Development Center (CDC) will be hosting several walk-ins with IU Career Peers during the Spring 2019 semester. The IU Career Peers will be available to assist IU 21st Century Scholars every Tuesday nights with resume, cover letter, selecting majors/careers, as well as finding a job. NO appointment required. Below are the scheduled date/times for Spring 2019:
IU La Casa/Latino Cultural Center
1) January 8th, 5:00PM-7:
2) January 22nd, 5:00PM-7:
3) February 5th, 5:00PM-7:
4) February 19th, 5:00PM-7:
5) March 5th, 5:00PM-7:00PMIU
LGBTQ+ Culture Center
1) January 15th, 5:00PM0-7:
2) January 29th, 5:00PM-7:
3) February 12th, 5:00PM-7:
4) February 26th, 5:00PM-7:
IU Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) - Spring 2019 "Let's Talk Now" at Eigenmann Hall
The IU CAPS will be offering the "Let's Talk Now" service every Tuesday afternoon between
Events at IUB (OPEN TO ALL MAJORS AND CLASS STANDING)
1) IU School of Public Health Spring 2019 Career Fair, Thursday, January 17th, 4:00PM-7:
2) IU Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Leadership Breakfast, Monday, January 21st, 8:30AM-10:
3) IU Kelley School of Business Spring 2019 Career Fair, Tuesday, January 22nd, 3:00PM-7:
4) IU College of Arts & Sciences Spring 2019 Career and Internship Fair, Wednesday, January 23rd, 3:00PM-7:
5) IU School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering Spring 2019 Career Fair, Thursday, January 24th, 11:00AM-4:
6) IU Summer Camp Jobs Fair, Wednesday, February 6th, 11:00AM-2:
7) IU SPEA Creative Arts and Social Service and Advocacy Fair, Thursday, February 28th at IMU Alumni Hall.
8) IU MSLD FASE "Career Dinner Symposium", Thursday, February 28th at IMU Tudor Room. RSVP at Click Here (LIMITED AVAILABILITY!!!)